Friday, August 31, 2007

Reflective Writing

October 26th
TOday we had a sub and she made us watch a video about 'Choices'. It was out of date and boring. The comedian who was in it was so annoying and he resemble Joey Budafucco from the Amy Fischer trial (it must have been the mullet). I fell asleep and for the rest of class we did absolutely nothing because she was not a very good sub.

October 24th,
Yesterday I came in late and heard half of James presentation on nicotine withdrawal. Afterwards Josh presented is assignment on why you should quit smoking. There were lengthy discussions about smoking.

October 10th,
TOday Josh Randall presented his juice recipe. It was a recipe designed to improve brain function. Afterwards we discussed testicular cancer. We discussed how people get it, how risky it is and how to look for it. I don't think I have to worry about it though except when it comes to my male relatives and my boyfriend.

October 8th,
TOday we went to the computer lab to work on our tobacco assignments. My assignment was about nicotine. I wrote it up and did some additional research, then worked on some back work.

October 4th,
Ricky from Planned Parenthood, returned today to discuss contraception with us. We learned about two types of birth control, hormonal and non-hormonal. Ricky brought examples with him, which were passed around for us to inspect. I found the many methods of birth control interesting.
We learned about the birth control pill, patch and ring, IUDs, and Depo-Provera. When it came to non-hormonal birth control, we learned about non horomonal IUDs, condoms (male and female), diaphragms, cervical caps, spermicide, and the birth control sponge.
It was very informative and Ricky's presentation style was once again excellent, because he added some comic relief to an otherwise serious topic and answered question honestly.

October 2nd,
Ricky from Planned Parenthood came in and discussed STIs (sexually transmitted infections) We learned about the seven most common ones- Chlamydia, Gonnorhea, Syphilis, HIV/AIDS. Genital Herpes, Genital Warts and Pubic Lice (crabs). I knew a lot of this information already, but I did have some questions regarded Genital Herpes and Genital Warts, which were answered with comforting and satisfactory results. Ricky was honest and straightforward and didn't beat around the bush when it came to the information. He was also non-judgmental during his presentation (i.e.- no lectures about the sins of premarital sex) which was important to me and probably others present.
All in all it was a good presentation and the fact that we were provided with chocolate was a plus.


September 26th,
Today Mr. Cahoun showed us how to use the juicer. We made apple juice, that tasted better than store bought apple juice. I tried the foam and pulp and that was not bad either.
Afterwards, I re-presented my Vitamin C project and Beth C. re-presented hers. Beth's was about Vitamin B3 (Niacin). It is found it liver and white chicken meat. When you are defiecent in B3, you can get pallagra which is a vitamin defiency disease. It cause lesions on the skin and is very gross.

September 20th 2007,
Mr. Carter visited today to discuss organ donation. I learned that you can't donate under a cardiac death amd that you can donate while brain-dead. It was interesting and very emotional at times, because he discussed the death of his daughter. He also discussed seat belt safety.
Because of this lecture, I wish to become an organ donor.


September 13th 2007,
Today I was assigned my group for the Food Pyramid project. Group 2, Vegetables. Not very exciting. We discussed nutrition and calorie intake depending on wieght, age, activity etc.

September 11th 2007,
Today we presented our vitamin projects. I went first. We took notes on other people's Vitamins. And yes, I did fall asleep. I have a sleeping disorder and can't help it.

September 7th 2007,
Today, we did a health survey and I find myself lacking in the Nutrition and Excercise department. Must attend to that. Afterwards, we watched some videos on different types of juicing machines, and I found them amusing to say the least.

2 comments:

Jack Cohun said...

Hope you enjoyed your nap in class. Remember 10% of your grade comes from attendance and participation. You need to be awake to participate.

Jack Cohun said...

Your reflective writes are not full filling the required assignment. See me please.